Well, this week was definitely less stressful than week #1 was. For the most part, Toni and I got to spend a lot of time with each other bonding with Caitlin. We don't have any Doctor appointments for Caitlin for another 3 weeks and she's eating well and seems to be gaining weight. Caitlin seems to be adjusting well to life at home and last night we actually got 5 uninterrupted hours of sleep so that was nice.
This coming week should be interesting. Toni is still off work for a couple more weeks but I will be returning to the workforce tomorrow. I am starting my new job tomorrow and for my first week, I'll be working 9-6. After that, I'll be working 10-7 which should work out really nice for me. My new job is 5 miles from the house and with those hours I should have a 10 minute commute and run into little if any traffic. I'm feeling mixed emotions about starting a new job. Like any other big change in life, I'm a little nervous about how things are going to be, excited about the possibilities and even a little bummed to be going back to work. I know there's a lot of people who say that they could never retire because they'd be bored out of their mind but I am definitely not one of them. I have thoroughly enjoyed not working over the last 2 1/2 months. There's a saying that "you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone" and I can definitely agree. I never realised just how stressful my old job was. Maybe the stress would have been worth it if I had been doing something big like curing cancer or helping to provide food to starving children but I wasn't. It's kind of sad when a work environment is more stressful than being unemployed. Hopefully my new company will be a lot more enjoyable on a daily basis. The only negative things I've found about starting over are losing my seniority and vacation hours and not seeing my old co-workers. I will definitely miss all of the people I worked with. If nothing else, I can use my experience of being laid off as a cautionary tale to teach Caitlin about character and honesty. Hopefully it can serve as an example of my motto in life, "hope for the best, but prepare for the worst." :-) I'll let everyone know how my new job goes and how Toni's first week with Caitlin by herself goes. Hope everyone has a great week!
Sunday, July 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I know what you mean. Where I am, if we don't get new work on the books by the end of the year, we face the company closing. And I'm the only one who doesn't care--it will finally allow me to take some much needed vacay time and stress relief. Good luck in your new job! And hugs to you, Toni and that adorable Caitlin!
Post a Comment