Sunday, May 17, 2020

Stay at home extended


Much of the country is in a rush to re-open but I for one am thankful my job is being smart about things. With Texas seeing an increase in cases, my job has extended work from home through July 31st which means that now the earliest I'll be going back is August 3rd. That will be really good for us because it means we won't have to pay for daycare for the summer which is awesome. There's also a chance that my job will switch to being exclusively from home which I'm really hoping for. Looking ahead to the fall, we're debating whether or not to send the kids back to school or to homeschool them. Not sure what we'll end up doing but we're preparing for either option at this point.

This week we had a bit of a scare with the coronavirus. One of Toni's employees found out that she had been exposed to someone who was infected. She went and got tested and got a negative result back which was definitely good. Now she won't be back to work for 2 weeks just to be safe. I'm still standing by my assertion that I'll start going back out when hospitals start allowing visitors again. Even after that, this pandemic has hammered home my desire to continue to invest money and plan for early retirement. I really thought that the Great Recession would be the big event of my adult life but now I see that it was really not that big of a deal. I'm not having any problems staying at home and I am really enjoying how much money we are saving. The eBay business is going crazy during this and as of today, I've already had my 2nd biggest month ever which is crazy. I still have a lot of inventory on hand so I think I can go several more months without replenishing. Soon I'm going to start looking at other avenues for acquiring merchandise to resell to take the place of garage sales.  This is really a once in a lifetime event and I'm taking every opportunity to enjoy spending more time with my family. We've been playing games with the girls, going for walks and having more family movie time. Last night we watched Rocky Balboa. It's one of my favorite movies and the girls enjoyed it.  I hope everyone stays safe and is enjoying their time at home.

No comments: