Sunday, August 3, 2008

The week in review - Week #3

Ya know, it really doesn't seem possible to me that Caitlin is only 3 weeks old today. In my mind, it seems like she's been with us for 3 months, not 3 weeks. Today Toni and I decided to get out of the house and leave Caitlin with her Nana and Grampa Bob. We went to see The Dark Knight and then went out to lunch. It was nice to get out of the house for a little bit for a "date morning". :)

Unfortunately, Caitlin seems to be crying a lot more than she was before this week so sleep is becoming harder to come by for Toni and I. She still has a voracious appetite and seems like she's getting longer and heavier. She also picks her head up on her own and doesn't really need us to support her head much when we are holding her. She has even started focusing in on different things for longer periods of time and soon I expect that she'll start recognizing and reacting to Toni and I when she sees us with something other than endless crying. :) Next weekend we're going to go look into getting pictures done somewhere. We'd like to try to get monthly pictures taken so we have pictures to chronicle her growth. She's still keeping us on our toes with exploding diapers and spit ups as well. Lesson learned - never hold Caitlin on your lap if you're wearing anything you value. :) Speaking of which, I think I have found what has to be one of the worst smells in human history - spit up hypo-allergenic Similac. The closest thing I can imagine would have to be on the sweltering summer day of July 4th, 1776. Picture it, no air conditioning and 56 grown men in powdered wigs and heavy wool clothing gathered into Independence Hall. Then, after days of drafting The Declaration of Independence, John Hancock suddenly asks, "Whose cheese is this?" Okay, so maybe that's not how it happened but you get the idea. :)

On the job front, things are going okay. My area is understaffed to say the least. My area is supposed to have 6 people but is currently running with only 4 including me. There are no plans to add any staff and all hiring has been frozen until further notice. One positive though is that I have executive management who is honest. He's not standing up in front of our team and telling us something he knows to be a lie like "there's plenty of work to keep us busy" or "No one's gonna go losing their job". He's being very upfront that he doesn't know what will happened but isn't ruling anything out. My direct manager also is very honest when he says that he has no idea either. It's nice to be working for people who value honesty and live their lives by it, not just when it's convenient for them. This week I will be starting my new 10-7 shift and tomorrow Toni will be taking Caitlin to the Pediatrician for a checkup. I'll try to post more tomorrow to let you know how it goes.

No comments: