Sunday, April 6, 2008

Car Seats 101


This weekend Toni and I went to a class about Car Seats offered by North Central Baptist Hosptial (NCBH). I have to admit that at first I really didn't want to go. I figured car seats come with instructions and I didn't need a salesperson telling me how I needed to buy the most expensive car seat on the market. Surprisingly, it wasn't like that at all and the class was well worth the time.


Among the surprises - the instructor actually told us to avoid some of the high end seats with trays in front of the baby and to think twice about the expensive seats that double as a carrier because they can't be used for very long. After listening to her advice, we decided on the Cosco Scenera which amazingly costs less than $45. We should get at least 3 years of use out of it so the class helped us save a lot of money.


The most shocking thing we learned is that a staggering 90% of car seats are not installed correctly!! That fact totally blew me away! After buying one today and attempting to put it in Toni's car, I can see why. There's a lot more involved than just sliding the seat belt through the seat and driving off into the sunset. We're going to contact the girl who gave the class (Jenna) to setup a time one of these weekends to have her check our installation on both of our vehicles.

We spent Sunday afternoon at Babies "R" Us. We've started registering for the baby showers and hopefully can get registered at Wal Mart and Target in the next week or 2. We bought more clothes for Caitlin while we were registering. :)


Our next appointment is this coming Friday. I'll keep everyone posted how it goes.

We're about 24.5 weeks in so far. Check out what's happening here - http://www.babiesonline.com/pregnancy/week-by-week/week24.asp

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is amazing the amount of "stuff" you need for such an itty bitty little thing and amount of "other stuff" you simply cannot do without. How about an updated photo of Toni for those of us that cannot visit to ooh & ahh. Thx for doing such a good job at keeping this up to date, including us in your journey. Caitlin is so lucky to have such fun & loving parents. Looking forward to photo's of the shower. Wish I could be there.