Monday, February 14, 2011

My 39th birthday...





Well, if this is what middle age birthdays are like, I'm worried! This week started out alright and on Tuesday I celebrated my 39th birthday. I expected to be really bothered by 39 but surprisingly, it didn't bother me too much. Looking back, 29 is still the hardest age I remember turning. I think I'm in a good place in my life and age isn't really an issue.. :) This week Caitlin went on a field trip that Toni joined her on. They went down to the Children's Museum and Caitlin seemed to have a lot of fun. The week was going along great until Friday afternoon..
Friday I left work early to take the girls to the Doctor. Caitlin had been acting like her ear was bothering her but the Doctor could find no problems. She was so grown up when we were at the Doctor. She went and stood on the scale all by herself (she weighs 34 pounds) and was very helpful with Emma. Emma had her 2 month checkup and the stats were pretty impressive:

Weight at birth: 7 lbs 11 oz. At 2 months: 12 lbs 3 oz.
Height at birth: 19.5 inches. At 2 months: 23.5 inches

She's doing very good on her growth and the Doctor was happy with everything except her ear infection. She's been taking medicine for over a week and it hasn't cleared up her ear infection so the Doctor decided to put her on new medicine. Emma didn't like having her ear examined and got very fussy so I picked her up and was patting her back trying to calm her down and then it happened.... In her anger, Emma swatted her hands and hit me in the eye! I actually felt her fingernail on my eye which obviously hurt more than you can imagine. My eye was hurting a lot but I was able to at least open it. It wasn't until about 2 hours later that the problems started. My eye started hurting more than I've ever felt and everything from blinking to moving my eyes with them closed hurt. It felt like a cat was scratching my eye every time I would blink. Once the sharp shooting pains started, we decided it was time to go to the clinic. The Doctor was shocked by how bad the scratch was and Toni was even able to see it. The numbing drops they used were awesome but unfortunately didn't last. They gave me a prescription for some ointment and we went home. I spent the night in constant pain and got very little sleep. By 2:30 Saturday afternoon I couldn't take it anymore and we went back to the clinic. They found that it was healing but had a ways to go. Another round of numbing drops were a godsend!

Saturday night we had planned on having dinner at Sarah and Dan's but with my afternoon spent at the Doctor, it was late afternoon by the time we got home. We stopped by their house and had some awesome food that Dan had made with his smoker and hung out for a little bit. Saturday night was a little easier to sleep and we woke up Sunday hopeful that things were getting better. And then we discovered that Emma is allergic to her new medicine! As you can see in the pic, she got very red on half of her face. We called the on call Doctor line and by the time they called back, everything had cleared up. She wasn't running a fever but we kept watching her throughout the day. In the afternoon she had another quick outbreak which cleared up in around 30 minutes. She's now on new medicine and hopefully that'll clear things up!

Overall it was a hectic week that I hope not to repeat! Hopefully this week will be a lot better. Today for Valentine's Day we exchanged cards and got the girls some stuffed animal dogs that Caitlin especially seems to like. Caitlin got a lot of cards and candy at school that she was very proud of and she keeps telling us that she likes Valentines day. :) Both girls are growing so fast, Caitlin is talking so much and Emma started smiling a lot this week! I hope this week goes smoother than last week and that everyone has a great one!

No comments: