Today we spent a good part of the day at Alamo Diabetes Center. From 1-5, we met with 2 different Doctors. The first Doctor we met with discussed how diabetes works and how insulin helps regulate blood sugar. She also explained the different types of insulin and gave Toni a new blood glucose monitor that keeps better stats and is a lot more advanced than the one she currently has. While testing the new monitor, Toni's sugar was pretty low (she hadn't eaten since breakfast) so we went to the office building next door to get something to eat for her. After that quick break, we went back and the Doctor explained the insulin injection schedule and how to administer the shots. Toni's on a schedule of 3 injections a day - 1 in the morning and 2 in the evening within a couple hours of each other.
After the first Doctor, we met with a Nutritionist. She laid out a very structured diet plan and went over Toni's meal plan and times of day that she needs to eat. She also explained portion sizes and had Toni write up a lunch plan for tomorrow that followed the rules to see if she understood the diet. She passed with flying colors and seems to have a good grasp of the diet. I thought the diet sounded too complicated but as long as it makes sense to Toni, that's all that really matters. We left armed with a lot of information, new equipment, and a whole helluva a lot of needles.
Tonight Toni had to start the injections of insulin. For all of you who know me well, you no doubt know that I have a big problem with all things needles and blood. I've passed out having blood taken in the past, nearly passed out after cutting my finger with a razor blade while removing carpet at my sister's house, and even felt light headed watching video of the circulatory system in the 6th grade. Needless to say, I'm the last person I ever thought was built for helping Toni through this trying time. I can happily report that I've somehow managed to put my phobias aside and was able to give Toni her first insulin injection tonight. No passing out, no feeling light headed, just the last person you'd ever expect giving his wife a shot. :)
Wednesday, January 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment