Thursday, June 19, 2008

The final sonogram

This week was a busy week for appointments. First, Toni had her weekly appointment with the OBGYN yesterday and everything checked out great on Caitlin's heart rate monitoring so that was good news. On a disappointing note though, we learned that her normal doctor is leaving the practice in 2 weeks.. For us, this means having to work with a different doctor for the next 3-4 weeks until Caitlin is born. Not exactly the news we wanted to hear but it seems like major change leading up to the delivery is getting to be old news in our house... The new doctor seems nice enough though and we have met with her a couple of times before when the normal doctor was on vacation so she's at least not a complete stranger to us. She has agreed to stay on track for inducing labor and right now that target date is 7/14. She also increased Toni's insulin levels a little more to help regulate her sugar levels. Instead of 2 units before lunch and dinner, she's now taking 4. Still not much and with the end in sight she should be able to get off the insulin after Caitlin is born.

Today we went in for our final sonogram and were very pleased. Everything looks great and Caitlin looks like she's ready to come out any day now. The shocking news was that the first technician who did the sonogram came back with a weight of 5 pounds 11 ounces. The doctor did it again and calculated that Caitlin is tipping the scales at a fairly stout 6 pounds 11 ounces! The doctor said that if they induce labor on the 14th, we're looking at around an 8 pound baby! Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Caitlin was born before the 4th of July weekend but we'll see..

Other than the appointments things are going well. I still haven't heard an answer from Wachovia but was told earlier this week that the answer is coming soon. I've talked to another company as well but decided to pass on the job because the pay wasn't all that great. The problem I seem to be running into is that I'm overqualified for a lot of jobs and not qualified enough for others. There's not a lot in the middle. At this point, I'm not too worried about it though. I'm waiting for the Post Office exam to be offered in San Antonio and have also been thinking about going back to school and changing careers. Problem is, I really don't know what I want to do. I'm considering everything from accounting and financial planning to Pharmacist. I'm really burned out with the IT field. The problem with the IT field is that no matter what, you're always only viewed as an expense to a company. If you don't have people in charge who are intelligent enough to know the importance of IT, you end up with layoffs and/or jobs being sent to India. (Or sometimes a combination of the 2). Add on that with a few notable exceptions most IT managers aren't very good managers and you end up with a career field that doesn't have the best outlook for the next 20 years.

Depending on the chart that we look at, we'll either hit week #35 today or Saturday. Check out what's going on here! http://www.babiesonline.com/pregnancy/week-by-week/week35.asp

Countdown to Caitlin guesses:
Toni and Sarah - 7/4
Mike - 7/7
Me - 7/10
Karen - 7/11
Mom - 7/16
Lissette - 7/16
Cuqui - 7/18
Bella and Efrain - 7/20

No comments: